The semifossilized remains of long-extinct species of dwarf elephants and hippopotamuses that roamed the island some 125,000 years ago were found in a cave here. The fossils are now on display in the small museum. The earliest evidence of human occupation on Malta dating from 7,000 years ago was found in the excavated upper layer on the cave floor.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My wife and I had a marvellous 8 days in Malta, 15 –22 March 2013. Read more
My film “Don Corleone’s Island” presents highlights of Sicily (Italy) and Malta, starring a “Godfather” movie shrine, the Mt Etna volcano, Greek Temple of Concord, fantastic Read more
Hi we are an Australian family of 2 adults and 2 children (11 and 8) who are planning on visiting family in Malta and incorporating a 5 week European holiday( as it is very expensive for 4 of us to fly Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more