Customs and Duties
Customs and Duties
If arriving from a destination outside the EU travelers are allowed to bring in no more than 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 1 liter of spirits, 2 liters of wine or sparkling wine, 50 grams of perfume, and 0.25 liter of toilet water. There are no restrictions on arrivals from within the EU members, provided the items are for personal use only and transported by you.
U.S. citizens may take home $400 worth of foreign merchandise as gifts or for personal use without having to pay duty, provided they have been out of the country for more than 48 hours and provided they have not claimed a similar exemption within the previous 30 days. Every member of a family is entitled to the same exemption, regardless of age, and the exemptions can be pooled. For the next $1,000 worth of goods, inspectors will assess a flat 10% duty, based on the price actually paid, so it is a good idea to keep your receipts. Included in the $400 allowance for travelers over the age of 21 are 1 liter of alcohol, 100 cigars, and 200 cigarettes. Any amount in excess of those limits will be taxed at the port of entry, and it may be additionally taxed in the traveler's home state; be sure to ask, as you may be charged late penalties if you don't pay on arrival. You may not take home meats, fruits, plants, soil, or other agricultural items.
Canadian citizens may take home 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes, and 40 ounces of liquor. Be sure to carry receipts for your purchases abroad, as any totaling more than $300 will be taxed.
British citizens may take home the same quantity of goods they were allowed to carry into Luxembourg. Because of strict rabies control, no pets or animals may be brought into the United Kingdom, unless they are carrying a valid pet's passport showing proof of vaccinations.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $2999 -- Croatia: 8-Night Escorted Trip w/Roundtrip Airfare Friendly Planet Travel
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- Albania, Macedonia & Beyond IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours