January 1; Carnival (late February, early March); Easter Monday (April); May Day (May 1); Ascension (late May, early June); Pentecost Monday (late May, early June); National Day (June 23); Assumption (August 15); All Saints' Day (November 1); Christmas (December 25-26). Note: when a holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday is not automatically a national holiday. Local workers are given a day off in lieu.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe