Euro (abbreviated €) notes come in denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500, although denominations above 50 are rarely seen in common use. Coins are issued in denominations of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 cents; you will rarely be required to use the 1 or 2 cents pieces.
As Luxembourg continues to prosper, the cost of living increases annually, but hotel and restaurant prices tend to rise no more than a few percent from year to year. Because of Luxembourg's low VAT (Value Added Tax), perfume, gasoline, cigarettes, and liquor continue to be notably cheaper here than in neighboring countries; you'll find combination gas station/liquor stores clustered at every border crossing. High-octane, unleaded gas costs about €1.30 a liter; in Belgium, you'll pay 20 or 30 cents more.
Cup of coffee, €1.50; glass of beer, €2; movie ticket, €9; taxi ride, 4¾ km (3 mi), €25 (10% higher nights, 25% higher Sunday).
VAT is 15%, except for hotels and restaurants, where it is 3%. Purchases of goods for export (to non-EU countries only) may qualify for a refund; ask the shop to fill out a refund form. You must have the form stamped by customs officers on leaving the European Union. A minimum purchase of €75.00 is required before you're eligible for a refund.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- Seductive Spain IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours
- Splendors of Sicily — $6,995 IExplore