The Moselle Valley Travel Guide
Legend has it that the rambling vineyards in the fertile Moselle valley were originally developed to satisfy the wine-drinking habits of Roman legions. (Roman antiquities still occasionally surface in the well-cultivated soil.) Today the Moselle river serves as the border between Luxembourg and Germany, and graceful vineyards still line the valley. The Route Du Vin, a road and hiking/biking trail, runs up the Luxembourg side of the river from Schengen in the south and to Wasserbillig in the north. Along the route is a series of villages, many charmingly old-fashioned, and each seemingly with its own microclimate, which accounts for the variety of grapes to be found. The valley produces a spectrum of light, fruity, flavorful white wines as well as cremant, a dry sparkling wine similar to champagne.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Moselle Valley restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Moselle Valley
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Along the Dalmatian Coast IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours
- Bulgaria and the Black Sea — $4,365 IExplore
Luxembourg is nestled between Belgium, Germany, and France, with a native language that’s a Flemish-Germanic ... Read more
Author Chris Pavone’s new espionage thriller, The Expats, is about an American abroad who finds... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Although I originally planned to do a day driving trip from Brussels to Luxembourg, the forecast winter weather along with a bargain train ticket has made me change my plans. Read more
This past July I took a 28 day trip to Europe, from Iceland to Slovenia and back again to Amsterdam. Read more
We are a family of 4 Adults and 3 kids (aged 3, 4 and 9) will be arriving (08:15 am) at Frankfurt on 9th July 2013 as part of our Europe visit. Read more