Clervaux, a forest village surrounded by deep-cleft hills, draws vacationers to hike, hunt, listen to Gregorian plainchant, and view The Family of Man photo exhibit in the sprawling castle. It was from this castle that Philip de Lannoi set forth in 1621 to make his fortune in America; one of his descendants was Franklin Delano Roosevelt (whose middle name is the anglicized version of de Lannoi). The old castle, virtually reduced to rubble in the Battle of the Bulge, has been completely restored. Two floors in the right wing of the castle house the noted exhibition of photo portraits of The Family of Man—considered by some to be the greatest photographic exhibition of all time—assembled by the photographer Edward J. Steichen, a Luxembourg native. Note that at this writing the exhibition is closed for much-overdue restoration work, and is scheduled to reopen in 2013.
- Address: 100 m (110 yds) above center of town, Clervaux
- Phone: 92–96–57
- Cost: €4.50
- Hours: Mar.–Dec., Tues.–Sun. 10–6
- Location: Clervaux
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I decided to squeeze a brief visit to Luxembourg in the middle of a ten day trip to France and Belgium. I'm a photographer, and Read more
Although I originally planned to do a day driving trip from Brussels to Luxembourg, the forecast winter weather along with a bargain train ticket has made me change my plans. Read more
I have some questions regarding a two-week itinerary in Europe in May, and what better place to ask a question than Fodor, correct?
My current work contract ends at the end of this month, Read more
· News & Features
Luxembourg is nestled between Belgium, Germany, and France, with a native language that’s a Flemish-Germanic... Read more
Author Chris Pavone’s new espionage thriller, The Expats, is about an American abroad who finds... Read more