Vianden Castle Review
In Vianden you come face to face with one of Europe's most dramatic sights: driving around the last bend, you suddenly see a full-length view of the spectacular Vianden Castle rearing up on a hill over the village, replete with conical spires, crenellation, step gables, and massive bulwarks. Its dramatic position enhances the tiny village's medieval air, with its steep, narrow main street and shuttered houses crouched at the feet of the feudal lord. The castle was built on Roman foundations in the 9th century, but its most spectacular portions date from the 11th, 12th, and 15th centuries.
Down the hill, by the banks of the river Our, a chairlift carries visitors up for a remarkable view of the valley. For the energetic, a woodland path leads from the upper station to the castle below. €3.50/4.80 single/return. Easter–mid-Oct., daily 10–6.
- Address: Vianden
- Phone: 84–92–91 Castle
- Cost: €6
- Hours: Mar. and Oct., daily 10–5; Apr.–Sept., daily 10–6; Nov.–Feb., daily 10–4
- Location: Vianden
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I decided to squeeze a brief visit to Luxembourg in the middle of a ten day trip to France and Belgium. I'm a photographer, and Read more
Although I originally planned to do a day driving trip from Brussels to Luxembourg, the forecast winter weather along with a bargain train ticket has made me change my plans. Read more
I have one extra day for my Europe trip and now I am torn between:
Luxembourg vs Brugge/Bruges. Read more
· News & Features
Luxembourg is nestled between Belgium, Germany, and France, with a native language that’s a Flemish-Germanic... Read more
Author Chris Pavone’s new espionage thriller, The Expats, is about an American abroad who finds... Read more