The administrative hub of Istria is appealing because it's a working city, not just a tourist destination. There's plenty here for the visitor, including a fine selection of restaurants and extensive Roman architecture.
Learn more about Pula »
- Natural Beauty
- Check out the amphitheater and Forum. Both of these structures date to Roman times; the amphitheater is the sixth-largest of its type in the world.
- The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in the 4th century and features a Roman mosaic floor. The building was extensively remodeled in the 18th century.
- The Kastel, or castle, is a 17th-century Venetian fortress. Today it's also home to the Historical Museum of Istria.
- The Pula Film Festival is held the third week in July.
- Histria, an annual summer music festival, runs from June through August.
- Take the ferry to explore Nacionalni Park Brijuni, which spans several islands.
- Vodnjan is home to an 18th-century church with the highest basilica in Istria.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's