ŞanlıurfaBack to Turkey's Crossroads of Faith »
This area of southeast Turkey is steeped in biblical history, and the ancient sites here tend to be remarkably well preserved. Şanlıurfa, known as Urfa, has a timeless quality and is a major pilgrimage site for Muslims; many Muslims believe it's where Abraham was born. Don't miss the bustling bazaar and delicious local cuisine.
Learn more about Sanliurfa (Urfa) »
- Legend has it that Abraham was born in the Hazreti İbrahim Doğum Mağarasi natural cave in the Hasan Pasa mosque.
- Gölbaşı Parkı is home to famed carp pools, also associated with Abraham. The place has a serene, spiritual feel.
- Don't miss the local bazaar, which is packed with traditional craftsmen, including coppersmiths and tailors.
- Visit the ancient city of Harran, 31 mi/50 km southeast, for its unique beehive-shaped houses.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe