CappadociaBack to Turkey's Crossroads of Faith »
In magical Cappodocia, visitors will find some of the weirdest landscapes on the planet. Wind and rain have shaped volcanic rock into an otherworldly vista of pyramids, cones, and "fairy chimneys." You'll find subterranean cities and ancient churches carved into the rock. Base yourself in Göreme to explore the region.
Learn more about Göreme »
- Natural Beauty
- Göreme, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is famed for its valley of fairy chimneys as well as its church caves with vibrant frescoes.
- Spend a night in one of many Cappadocian cave hotels, which run the gamut from basic to luxurious.
- Explore the hundreds of cave churches, many of which have columns and elaborate frescoes. Don't miss the underground cities at Derinkuyu and Kaymakli.
- Visit the Ihlara Valley, a deep gorge with monasteries and churches cut into the cliffs.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe