LuzernBack to The Swiss Alps »
Luzern owes much of its development to tourism, but that's because it's so darn pretty. From wooden bridges to the surrounding mountains and lakeside locale, it's got all the things that make Switzerland famous.
Learn more about Luzern »
- Natural Beauty
- The iconic Chapel Bridge was built in the 14th century, though it was heavily damaged by fire in 1993. It snakes across the Reuss.
- Luzern's Jesuit Church was constructed in 1667, but two onion domes were added in 1893. The magnificent interior is awash with gilt and frescoes.
- Mount Pilatus is just 6 mi/10 km outside the city, and is accessible by cable car and cogwheel train in addition to a foot-powered ascent.
- Stans is just 6 mi/10 km south of Luzern. It's a charming example of an old Swiss town.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe