Rome, as everyone knows, wasn't built in a day, and you can't see it all in a day either. But Rome isn't the primary focus of this trip; it's the place you'll fly into, and you'll have a short time to explore before heading south (as well as another day at the end of the trip before heading home). Luckily, you'll have your pick of Rome's great attractions in the historic center, all reachable from one another by foot.
Learn more about Rome »
- Art and Culture
- Dedicate half a day to Ancient Rome: tour the Colosseum, the Forum, and the Palatine Hill.
- Stroll through the heart of the old city, where you can, at your leisure, duck into the Pantheon (one of the world's greatest architectural achievements) or visit a church decorated with a Caravaggio masterpiece.
- The Eternal City is equally famous for its ice cream and its coffee, so don't forget to take a break for refreshments.
- The Rome Independent Film Festival happens each February.
- During the International Urban Theatre Festival, held in September, the streets are alive with performance art.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's