Chaotic Naples is a city visitors either love or hate. Get into its exuberant rhythm (and accept its grittier side), and you may come away thinking this is Italy's friendliest, most fun city. Naples gave birth to the pizza, and it still sets the standard for the rest of the world to aspire to.
Learn more about Naples »
- Food and Wine
- Tour underground Naples, a maze of caves, catacombs, ancient Roman roads, and early Christian burial sites.
- Wander through the cavernous Museo Archeologico Nazionale, with its remarkable collection of ancient art, including the greatest treasures from Pompeii.
- Walk along Spaccanapoli, the street cutting through the heart of town, where you'll find the bursts of energy and beauty that define Naples.
- Make your first pizza experience the classic margherita (tomato, basil, and mozzarella), then try other varieties to determine your favorite.
- The annual Festa di San Gennaro (feast of St. Gennaro) on September 19th is an over-the-top celebration of Naples's patron saint.
- Ascend Mt. Vesuvius (10 mi/16 km east of Naples), the volcano that devastated Pompeii and neighboring Herculaneum in 79 A.D.