Santa Margherita Ligure and PortofinoBack to The Italian and French Rivieras »
The beautiful old resort town of Santa Margherita is popular with well-to-do Italians who come here to relax in the grand hotels, stroll the pretty boutique-lined streets, and dine in the simple but classy fish restaurants. A short hop away is world-famous Portofino, an enclave of the superrich (usually hidden away in the villas of the surrounding hills), where day-trippers come to see the picture-postcard waterfront and soak up the luxe atmosphere.
Learn more about Santa Margherita Ligure »
- Art and Culture
- Hike up to Castello di San Giorgio, a castle with medieval relics, for sweeping views and impeccable gardens.
- Work on your tan at Paraggi, the area's only sandy beach. It is best reached by bus.
- Do what everyone else is doing; kick back in a café, browse through the boutiques, and look at the super yachts docked in the marina.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's