Nice and Haut-de-CagnesBack to The Italian and French Rivieras »
The last stop combines the grandeur of Nice with the simple pleasures of Haut-de-Cagnes, one of the most beautiful "perched villages" along the Riviera. In Nice, the big draws are the pastel palaces, Old Town, and views of the bay, while Haut-de-Cagnes looks like something out of Alice in Wonderland, with its steeply cobbled streets and dollhouse cottages.
Learn more about Nice »
- Art and Culture
- Gaze out over the hypnotic blue bay with a walk along the seaside Promenade des Anglais in Nice. Lined with palm trees and packed with sun-worshippers, it's home to grand hotels and fun cafés.
- A huge collection of Henri Matisse's works is on display at the Musée Matisse, which is set in the Cimiez district not far from the artist's hillside home.
- Stroll through the luxuriant gardens of the Musée Renoir in Haut-de-Cagnes, housed in a villa where the artist lived for the last 12 years of his life. His re-created studio is a moving testimony to the master of Impressionism.
- The 14th-century Château Grimaldi dominates the Vieille Ville of Haut-de-Cagnes, and its grand salons house several quirky collections of art and medieval treasures, with one room dedicated to Jazz Age singer Suzy Solidor.
- In mid-February, Nice hosts one of the most spectacular Carnival celebrations in France.
- In June, the Nice Jazz Festival takes place.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe