Lovely Menton has a near-tropical climate (lemon trees bloom in January) and is the least pretentious of all the Côte d'Azur resorts. Architecturally, you'll find influences from Morocco, Greece, Spain, and Italy; put it all together and Menton is arguably the best of all Mediterranean worlds. Come here to bask in the sunshine and explore the lush gardens.
Learn more about Menton »
- Art and Culture
- The Musée Jean-Cocteau houses many of his works but the building itself is part of the appeal. Note the whimsical mosaics and ceramic animals in the wrought-iron windows.
- Visit the Jardin Botanique, which is bursting with rare flowers and subtropical plants, as well as water-lily ponds and fountains.
- Build up an appetite at the Marche Couvert (the Covered Market), where merchants sell handmade breads, cheeses, and artisan oils.
- In August the Festival de Musique de Chambre (chamber music festival) takes place in an outdoor plaza.
- During the Fête du Citron (Lemon Festival) at the end of August, lemons are celebrated with floats and sculptures made of the honored fruit.
- Serre de la Madone, 6 mi/10 km west of Menton, is a horticultural masterpiece along the coast.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe