Cosmopolitan Milan is a world away from the laid-back atmosphere that's marked this trip so far, and it's the site of some of Italy's most sophisticated pleasures and indulgences. First on the list is shopping: Milan is Italy's fashion capital, and in the city's boutiques, designers show off their latest creations. The restaurants, hotels, and museums follow suit with an emphasis on contemporary style. The past hasn't been abandoned—a giant Gothic cathedral sits at the city center, and Leonardo's Last Supper is a star attraction.
Learn more about Milan »
- Art and Culture
- Food and Wine
- Wander among boutiques of the greatest Italian fashion designers, from Bulgari and Ferragamo to Versace and Armani, in the Quadrilatero district.
- Forget to book your ticket to the opera at La Scala? See if you can snap up one of the 140 gallery seats available two hours before the performance.
- Stroll under the domed glass ceiling of the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, just off the Piazza del Duomo.
- Choose from a number of superb museums: the Pinacoteca di Brera has masterpieces by Raphael, Mantegna, and Caravaggio; the Triennale showcases contemporary design and architecture.
- The Navigli district will remind you of Venice, with its canal-side cafés.
- Book ahead to visit Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper in Santa Maria delle Grazie.
- The world's fashionistas descend on Milan during Fashion Week (February) to see the coming season's collections.
- Bargain hunters may want to take a free shuttle to one of the designer outlets just outside Milan, such as The Place (Gucci, La Perla and Ermenegildo Zegna) and Fidenza Village (Versace, Dolce & Gabbana).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's