Picture grand villas, hanging wisteria, majestic Alpine vistas, lanterns casting a glow over waterfront restaurants.… Welcome to Lake Como. Though summer crowds threaten the lake's serene aura and slightly faded old-money gentility, the allure of this spectacular place endures. It's the consummate pairing of natural and man-made beauty.
Learn more about Como »
- Natural Beauty
- Art and Culture
- Food and Wine
- Travel the length of the lake by ferry, hopping off to visit the villages, villas, and gardens or staying on board to enjoy the ride and the view.
- Bellagio, perched on the point that splits the lake, is famed for its bougainvillea-lined stairways and impossibly enchanting ambience. The central location makes it an ideal overnight base.
- In addition to being an elegant resort, the town of Como is Europe's silk-production capital. Wander its cobblestone streets, stop at the 15th-century Duomo, and visit the Silk Museum.
- Take the ferry to Tremezzo, where you can tour two of the lake's most impressive estates, Villa Carlotta and Villa Balbianello.
- The Como Festival, held in July, is a celebration of jazz, classical music, and dance.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe