MontepulcianoBack to The Best of Tuscany »
Perched high on a hilltop, the town of Montepulciano has an unusually harmonious look; a group of Renaissance architects endowed it with fine palaces and churches meant to embody the aesthetic ideals of the time. Come here to stroll the beautiful streets. Taste the robust wine of the region, Vino Nobile, and sample a plate of pici, a local pasta.
Learn more about Montepulciano »
- Food and Wine
- Art and Culture
- The beautiful Piazza Grande is filled with handsome buildings, including the Duomo. It's a great place to relax and watch the world go by.
- The town's greatest claim to fame is the robust Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, which can be sampled in wine bars and restaurants.
- Below the center of town, visit the church of , a Renaissance masterpiece designed by Antonio Sangallo il Vecchio.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe