There is no place in the world like London, with its mix of ancient history and modern marvels. The city is chock-full of buildings that have housed important events in history, from the crowning of kings to the beheading of queens. Don't miss the British Museum or Shakespeare country.
Learn more about London »
- You can devote days to the British Museum, which has artifacts from the world's greatest civilizations, including the Elgin Marbles, the Rosetta Stone, and the Sutton Hoo treasure.
- Watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and tour the state rooms to see how the royals entertain.
- Tour Westminster Abbey, which has witnessed 14 royal weddings and 38 coronations. More than 3,000 people are buried here, great kings among them.
- The Tower of London, a splendid hodgepodge of ancient buildings, is home to the Crown Jewels; Anne Boleyn and others were beheaded here.
- The Notting Hill Carnival, held each August, is Europe's biggest street festival.
- The Proms is a series of classical music concerts that take place from May to September throughout London.
- Get lost in the leafy maze at magnificent Hampton Court Palace, 11 mi/18 km southwest of London.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's