Mont-St-MichelBack to The Best of England and France »
This monastery is one of the most visited attractions in France, and it's easy to see why once you see the Abbaye du Mont-St-Michel, perched on its 264-foot-high rock, and surrounded by water during high tide. There are so many marvels and museums to see here it is best to spend the night; once the bulk of tourists leave and the floodlights come on, it's an otherworldly place.
Learn more about Mont-St-Michel »
- Take a guided tour of the impressive Romanesque and Gothic abbey, as well as the Église Abbatiale, the abbey church which crowns the rock.
- Other tours will take visitors to the celebrated Escalier de Dentelle (a lacey, perforated staircase) and the Salles des Chevaliers, a complex of state chambers.
- Take your pick of the four mini museums that cover Mont-St-Michel's history, tides, myths, and legends.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's