There is no place in the world like London, with its unique mix of ancient history and modern marvels. The city is chock full of buildings that have witnessed important events in history, from the crowning of kings to the beheading of queens. Then get out of the city to experience Oxford and Blenheim Palace.
Learn more about London »
- Spend hours at the British Museum, which has artifacts from the world's greatest civilizations, including the Elgin Marbles, the Rosetta Stone, and the Sutton Hoo treasure.
- Tour Westminster Abbey, which has witnessed 14 royal weddings and 38 coronations. More than 3,000 people are buried here, including great kings.
- The Tower of London, a splendid hodgepodge of ancient buildings, is home to the Crown Jewels. Anne Boleyn and others were beheaded here.
- If you need to recharge after all the sight-seeing, head to one of London's four central parks, all within walking distance. Choose from Regent's Park, Hyde Park, St. James's Park, and Green Park.
- The Proms is a series of classical music concerts which take place May through September throughout London.
- The Notting Hill Carnival, held each August, is Europe's biggest street festival.
- Spend a day visiting Oxford, and don't miss historic Magdalen College and Christ Church. Then head to nearby Blenheim Palace, the baroque masterpiece where Winston Churchill was born.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's