Switzerland's high-energy metropolis, Zürich is more than a banking capital. From impressive churches to awesome art collections, the city has much to offer the culturally inclined. Likewise, if shopping is a pastime, there's no shortage of buying to be done here.
Learn more about Zürich »
- The Great Church is a 12th-century structure with 18th-century updates—specifically, two towers and one modern touch—stained glass windows made by Giacometti.
- The Siftung Sammlung E.G. Bührle has a stunning array of Manets, Monets, and more. Be forewarned, because of a robbery in 2008, visits are by appointment only.
- Zürich is a shopper's paradise. Walk along the Bahnhofstrasse for a peek at high-end boutiques, or head to Niederdorf for more avant-garde looks.
- The Theater Spectacular comes at the end of August into September.
- Tango Week dances into town at the end of July.
- The outstanding Am Römerholz art collection is in Winterthur, 12 mi/19 km northeast of Zurich.
- Schaffhausen and the Rhine Falls are 30 mi/48 km northeast of Zurich.