Lauterbrunnen and EnvironsBack to Switzerland Sampler: A First-Timer's Tour »
Lauterbrunnen is one of the most beautiful spots in Switzerland and makes a great base for day trips. From here, you can visit any number of nearby towns including Mürren, Grindelwald, the Jungfrau, and Interlaken.
Learn more about Lauterbrunnen »
- Natural Beauty
- Catch the views of Lauterbrunnen's waterfalls. The Staubbach Falls are visible from town and are illuminated at night, while the Trümmelbach Falls are hidden in the base of the nearby Jungfrau.
- Take the cable car to Mürren, 5,413 feet up. The car-free town is at the base of the impressive Schilthorn, also accessible by a four-stage cable lift.
- The Grindelwald might not be as big as surrounding peaks, but it's the most accessible of the region's mountain resorts. The 30-minute gondola ride to the first ski area is lovely.
- The Yehudi Menuhin Music Festival runs in late July and early August in Gstaad.
- Close to Interlaken, St. Beatus-Höhlen natural caverns and hillside pavilion make a fine day of exploration.
- Take the cog railway to Jungfraujoch, Europe's highest railway station.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe