Home to Albert Einstein, Bern is Switzerland's capital in name, but hardly in stature. Despite its sleepy qualities, the ample museums and pretty views—the arcades are a UNESCO Heritage Site—make it worth a stop.
Learn more about Bern »
- The Cathedral here has Switzerland's highest church tower. Started in 1421, the steeple wasn't finished until 1893.
- Renzo Piano's Paul Klee Museum is a work of architectural genius, filled with undulating light. The permanent collection contains over 200 works by the famed artist.
- Walk around Bern's arcades, which keep visitors and locals alike dry from the city's famously iffy weather.
- The Geranium Market is in mid-May.
- The open-air OrangeCinema shows films in front of the university in July and August.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's