Kiruna is a base to explore Sweden's Lapp region, where the Sami people live. From here you'll be able to hike, camp, and climb. Bring bug spray. Explore the villages and handiwork of the Sami, who have inhabited the region for centuries.
- Natural Beauty
- Art and Culture
- Climb to the top of Kebnekaise, a 7,000-foot mountain that's Sweden's tallest.
- Nikkaluokta, a few miles west of downtown, is the nearest Sami village.
- Try some Sami delicacies in Jukkasjärvi, 10 mi/16 km east of Kiruna. In winter this is also the home of the famed Icehotel.
- The Jokkmokk Wintermarket in nearby Jokkmokk is one of the most important festivals in northern Europe.
- Sarek National Park is 193 miles/311 km southwest of Kiruna; it's Sweden's largest high-mountain area.
- Jokkmokk, 140 mi/225 km south of Kiruna, is an important center of Sami culture and arts and crafts.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe