Vibrant Madrid is truly a city that never sleeps. There are world-class museums and palaces here, but to spend all of your time indoors would be missing a key experience. Get out there and do like the locals do. Nibble on tapas, sip wine, and forget about beauty sleep; nightlife doesn't really get going until after midnight. If you need to clear your head, a visit to the nearby countryside or Parc de Retiro should do the trick.
Learn more about Madrid »
- Art and Culture
- No trip to Madrid is complete without a visit to the Prado museum, home to masterpieces from Goya, El Greco, and Velázquez.
- The 18th-century Palacio Real features over 2,000 opulent rooms and is packed with world-class art. Visitors can see the throne room and private apartments.
- Get into the madrileño way of life. Nibble on tapas and sip wine in a bar along the Cava Baja, and party 'til dawn at a nightclub.
- The performing arts are celebrated with deep discounts during the Night of the Theatres, in March.
- During the Salón de Gourmets, held in Madrid each April, sample the best of Spain's food.
- The Real Monasterio de San Lorenzo de El Escorial (31 mi/49.9 km northwest of Madrid) is one of the most gigantic, yet simple architectural monuments along the Iberian Peninsula.
- The Valle de los Caídos is a massive monument erected by Francisco Franco.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe