This city is one of the most magical in Spain, thanks to its main attraction—the Alhambra palace. Spread over three hills, Grenada offers an alluring mix of tangled streets, Moorish architecture, and a thriving nightlife (courtesy of its large student population). The city also serves as an excellent gateway to the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Alpujarras.
Learn more about Granada »
- Art and Culture
- The Alhambra is Spain's most popular attraction. Spend at least a day exploring this jaw-dropping palace and its gardens, which seem to float in the air.
- Isabelle and Ferdinand are buried at the Capilla Real, a masterpiece of ornate Gothic style.
- Explore Albayzín, an ancient Moorish neighborhood that is beautifully preserved. It's located on a hill across from the Alhambra.
- The Festival Internacional de Música y Danza de Granada takes place from June to July, with some events in the Alhambra.
- November is the time for the Festival Internacional de Jazz de Granada.
- Head to the Sierra Nevada Mountains for a hike or mountain biking.
- Lanjaron is a spa town famous for its mineral waters (29 mi/46.7 km from Grenada).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe