Rothenburg ob der TauberBack to Southern Germany: Munich to Frankfurt »
Rothenburg's beauty seems larger than life. Filled with half-timber houses with a backdrop of towers and turrets, the city is a taste of Germany's past. It swells with tourists in the summer, but that's what happens when you're that good looking!
Learn more about Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber »
- Explore the town within the walls with a stop at the Herterich Fountains. Even the walls themselves can be trod upon via a wooden walkway.
- The Town Hall is half gothic (started in 1240) and half neoclassical (started in 1572). Look for the famed 6-pint Meistertrunk.
- The Doll and Toy Museum has 1,000 items, some over 200 years of age. There are also theaters and model shops for kids.
- The Meistertrunk Festival in late May celebrates the wager that saved the town during the Thirty Years' War, with townspeople in period costumes.
- Rothenburg's Reichstadt-Festtage celebrates the city's independence (gained in 1274) with reenactments in late September.
- Watch the eagles and falcons at the Schloss Schillingsfürst, a baroque castle 12 mi/19 km to the south.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's