A university town to beat the band, Heidelberg is a living representation of Romantic Germany. Though it brings scads of visitors every year, the youthful spirits of the students prevent it from ossifying into a museum piece.
Learn more about Heidelberg »
- The castle here is a hodgepodge of architectural styles, including Baroque, Renaissance and Stuart. It's also home to a nifty Apothecary Museum, with flagons and cures made from dried beetles.
- The Alte Brücke spans the Neckar River. The site of many bridges before it, this one remains, framing the entrance to the old town.
- The Schlossbeleuchtung, or castle lighting, is a fireworks show that happens three times a year. The first lighting is scheduled for early June.
- At the end of June, the Castle Festival includes music and dancing at the Schloss.
- Stuttgart's ever-popular, five-year-old Mercedes-Benz Museum is 75 mi/121 km to the south.