Ask travelers what their favorite Greek city is, and many will say Nafplion. Located in the Northern Peloponnese, it has a magnificent setting on the Gulf of Argos—imposing ruins, an animated waterfront, and street after street of old houses, churches, and mosques. The city makes an ideal base to explore the region and all of its ruins.
Learn more about Nafplion »
- Natural Beauty
- Base yourself in Nafplion, one of the prettiest cities in Greece thanks to its mix of Venetian, Ottoman, and Greek architecture. Don't miss the Archaeological Museum and Palamidi (a fortress).
- Epidauros is best known for 4th-century open-air theater, one of antiquity's best preserved, built to seat 14,000 people. You'll also find the Sanctuary of Asklepios, once the most important healing center in the ancient world.
- The great poet Homer wrote about Mycenae and its legendary king, Agamemnon, who launched the Trojan War. Visitors today can see the ancient citadel and the so-called Death Mask of Agamemnon.
- Ancient Corinth is littered with ruins. Excavations continue today. Highlights include the limestone Acrocorinth, a citadel, the colonnaded North Market, and the Temple of Apollo.
- During the Hellenic Festival, theatrical performances take place under the stars at the Theater at Epidauros.
- Before or after visiting Nafplion, visit Ayia Monia, a Byzantine convent with a pagan twist.
- After a hard day of sightseeing, soak your feet by the pebbly beach at Xylokastro, 21 mi/34 km west of Ancient Corinth.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe