Located on the slopes of Mount Parnassos, Delphi offers some of the most spectacular ancient sites in Greece and is rich in history. Its ancient rocks signal a time of worship and secret ritual. Most tourists come here to see the Sanctuary of Athena and Ancient Delphi, as well as the Temple of Apollo. It is also home to a sophisticated ski resort in the winter.
Learn more about Delphi »
- Ancient pilgrims used to stop at the Sanctuary of Athena before heading to ancient Delphi. The most notable remain in the Tholos, a graceful, round building from 4 BC.
- At Ancient Delphi, walk through the marbled Sacred Way to reach the Temple of Apollo (where an oracle would dish advice). Other sights here include a well-preserved theater and a stadium.
- The Delphi Museum contains a wonderful collection of art and architecture, chiefly from the sanctuaries of Apollo and Athena.
- Orthodox Easter week is the most important holiday in Greece, and Delphians celebrate it with true passion.
- The Summer Arts Festivals takes place in the ancient stadium at Delphi under the stars.
- Visit the harbor town of Galaxidi, which is dotted with fine sea captain's homes.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's