Köln (Cologne)Back to Rhine River Cruise »
Köln (Cologne) is the largest city on the Rhine and one of the most interesting. Known throughout the world for its scented water, Eau de Cologne (first produced here in 1705 from an Italian formula), Köln is today a major commercial, intellectual, and ecclesiastical center. The city is vibrant and bustling, with a light and jolly flair typical of the Rhineland.
Learn more about Cologne »
- Art and Culture
- The Gothic builders of the Dom intended it as a tangible expression of God's kingdom on Earth and as a home to relics of the biblical Magi. The cathedral took more than 600 years to build. Don't miss the splendid reliquary, altar, treasury, and tower.
- The Römisch-Germanisches Museum, a cultural landmark, was built around a famous mosaic depicting Dionysus that once formed the dining-room floor of a wealthy Roman trader's villa.
- Museum Ludwig's collection of pop-art rivals the Guggenheim's and includes works by Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, and Roy Lichtenstein
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's