Situated at the frontier between two of Europe's most assertive personalities—France and Germany—and tapped directly into the Rhine, Basel is a remarkably urbane, cosmopolitan, and worldly-wise place. Artists and bankers are equally at home here.
Learn more about Basel »
- Art and Culture
- The Kunstmuseum is home to one of the oldest public art collections in Europe, owned by the city since 1661; it thoroughly documents the development of painting on the upper Rhine.
- Noted architect Renzo Piano built the public museum that houses the Fondation Beyeler. This astonishingly well-rounded collection of 20th-century and contemporary art is the legacy of Ernst Beyeler, modern art's greatest gallery owner.
- Art Basel, one of the world's leading contemporary art shows, is held every June.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe