Situated at the frontier between two of Europe's most assertive personalities—France and Germany—and tapped directly into the Rhine, Basel is a remarkably urbane, cosmopolitan, and worldly-wise place. Artists and bankers are equally at home here.
Learn more about Basel »
- Art and Culture
- The Kunstmuseum is home to one of the oldest public art collections in Europe, owned by the city since 1661; it thoroughly documents the development of painting on the upper Rhine.
- Noted architect Renzo Piano built the public museum that houses the Fondation Beyeler. This astonishingly well-rounded collection of 20th-century and contemporary art is the legacy of Ernst Beyeler, modern art's greatest gallery owner.
- Art Basel, one of the world's leading contemporary art shows, is held every June.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's