San SebastiánBack to Northern Spain: Tapas and Coastal Towns »
San Sebastián is a sophisticated city arched around one of the finest urban beaches in the world. The best way to take in the city is to walk along the promenade and into the hills. Stroll along the Old Quarter and make sure to sample San Sebastián's famed tapas restaurants.
Learn more about San Sebastián »
- Food and Wine
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- One of the best ways to admire all the Belle Epoque buildings is to walk along the promenade or pick up a path leading to the hills for an aerial view.
- The Kursaal is San Sebastián's modernist performance center. Films and concerts take place here.
- San Sebastián is famed for its tapas restaurants and award-winning chefs. Most are clustered in the Old Quarter.
- The September Film Festival coincides with a whaleboat regatta.
- The Pasajes de San Juan, 6 mi/10 km east of San Sebastián, is home to a colorful cluster of 18th- and 19th-century seaside buildings.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe