Basque CoastBack to Northern Spain: Tapas and Coastal Towns »
The area between San Sebastián and Bilbao is lined with beaches, cliffs, and picturesque fishing ports. To get the best views, rent a car and drive along the twisting roads. Start at San Juan de Gaztelugatxe and work your way east to Getaria. In addition to the beaches, you'll also come across unique churches and museums.
Learn more about Bilbao and the Basque Country »
- Great Drive
- Natural Beauty
- The tiny, gemlike hermitage of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe clings to rocks over the bay. Visitors must climb 321 steps to reach it.
- Bermeo has the largest fishing fleet in Spain and is home to the Museo del Pescador—the only museum in the world dedicated to fishermen and the craft of fishing.
- Lekeitio offers a soaring Gothic church and two wide, sandy beaches right near the harbor.
- In the first week of August every other year, the fishing village of Getaria celebrates Magellan's voyage around the world.
- The Museo de la Paz in Guernica (5 mi/8 km south of Mundaka) offers a closer look at the fateful 1937 bombing of the city (also the inspiration for Picasso's Guernica).
- Axpe, 27 mi/44 km south of Guernica, is nestled under the limestone heights of the 4,777-foot Amboto.