This city by the sea manages to charm every visitor, and it's no wonder. Barcelona offers an intriguing mix of architectural styles, from the whimsical creations of Gaudí to Gothic churches. It is also one of Spain's cultural centers. So much of the city life takes place in the streets, but you'll want to spend time exploring Barcelona's top museums before heading to the beach for some sun.
Learn more about Barcelona »
- Art and Culture
- Get a feel for Barcelona by strolling along the Rambla and in the Boquería produce market.
- Have a Gaudí day and try to take in as many of his masterpieces as you can: the Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família, Casa Milà, and Park Güell.
- Head to the Eixample, where you'll find most of the city's Art Nouveau architecture. Don't miss Casa Batlló and Casa Amatller.
- The International Music Festival takes place in September.
- The Sant Ponç Festival celebrates produce in May.
- Although there are many beaches just outside of city, Sitges (27 mi/44 km southwest of Barcelona) is one of the best.
- Santa Creus, 59 mi/95 km west of Barcelona, is home to uniquely designed monasteries.