Ticino and LuganoBack to Northern Italy and Switzerland: The Lakes to the Mountains »
Ticino is Switzerland's Italian region and offers a perfect blend of Italian chic and Swiss quality, along with a Mediterranean climate and plenty of active pursuits. This is the land of verdant mountains, beautiful lakes (Lugano and Maggiore), and charming villages. Spend time exploring Lugano and its surrounding villages.
Learn more about Lugano »
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- Food and Wine
- Bellinzona, the capital of Ticino, offers a picturesque Old Town and three superbly restored castles. The most striking, Castello di Montebello, contains two museums.
- Climb one of the three peaks in the Lugano area: Mont Brè, Mont San Salvatore, or Mont Generoso.
- Lugano is beautiful and sophisticated. Walk along the lake promenade and take your pick of the Museum of Modern Art, the Cantonal Art Museum, or the Belvedere Gardens.
- Indulge in the local cuisine, which is rustic and hearty. Specialties include osso bucco, polenta, and merlot.
- Head to the fabled Castagnola parks, a short tram ride east from Lugano, where you'll see olive groves and wild rosemary.
- Visitors will find Alpine drama and subtropical colors in Isole de Brissago, a group of islands about 50 minutes from Lugano.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's