Luzern owes much of its development to tourism, and that's because it's so darn pretty. From wooden bridges to the surrounding mountains and lakeside locale, it's got all the things that make Switzerland famous.
Learn more about Luzern »
- Natural Beauty
- Straddling the Reuss river, the iconic Chapel Bridge is a 14th-century landmark graced with religious frescoes and geranium-filled flower boxes.
- Awash in gilt and frescoes, Luzern's Jesuit Church was constructed in 1667 but is crowned with two 19th-century onion domes.
- The concert-packed Luzern Festival is held every year from mid-August to mid-September.
- Mt. Pilatus is just 6 mi/10 km outside the city and is accessible by cable car and one of the world's steepest cogwheel trains.
- Just 6 mi/10 km south of Luzern is Stans, a charming example of an old Swiss town.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe