Lake Maggiore and VerbaniaBack to Northern Italy and Switzerland: The Lakes to the Mountains »
Lake Maggiore may not be as famous as Lake Como, but it has a stunning location with the Alps as backdrop. Its setting is unique: the shores border Lombardy, Piedmont, and Switzerland. The top activities here are exploring the lake and the towns around it, as well as the lake's islands.
Learn more about Verbania »
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- Visit Stresa, which has an aura of faded grandeur, and stop by Villa Pallavicino, which has a zoological garden. Here peacocks and ostriches roam freely.
- From Stresa, take a boat to the Borromean islands. Isola Bella has a palace and terraced garden, and tiny Isola dei Pescatori makes a great stop for a seafood lunch.
- Explore Villa Taranto in Verbania, once the home of a Scottish captain. There are more than 3,000 plant species in the gardens.
- Santa Caterina del Sasso Ballaro, near the town of Laverno, is a beautiful lakeside hermitage.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe