Set at the foot of the mighty Jungfrau and situated between two lakes, Interlaken is the perfect entryway to the Bernese Oberland. Set out in any direction from this sleepy town—noted for its historic hotels—and you're guaranteed awesome sights.
Learn more about Interlaken »
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- The Victoria-Jungfrau Hotel is a jewel in the heart of town. As visitors did in the days of Mark Twain and Queen Victoria, enjoy drinks on its restaurant terraces overlooking the Bernese mountains.
- Walk the Höheweg, Interlaken's promenade, for a taste of the city. The trees and flowers lead to a 35-acre park.
- Catch William Tell in a nighttime outdoor pageant from June to September.
- Take the cog railway to Jungfraujoch, Europe's highest railway station.
- The Grindelwald glacier is 12 mi/19 km south of Interlaken.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe