With its rosy roofs and red-brick mansions, Toulouse is known as the pink city. This capital of the Midi-Pyrénées is also a thriving student town and its cultural offerings can rival those in Paris. The centre ville is packed with historic churches and museums.
Learn more about Toulouse »
- The enormous Basilique St-Sernin is Toulouse's most famous landmark, thanks to its five-tier octagonal tower.
- In the Musée des Augustins, an outstanding array of Romanesque sculptures and paintings, are displayed in a sacristy and cloisters.
- The Église des Jacobins was built in the 1230s and is a major Gothic masterpiece. The church's original refectory site is now used for temporary art installations.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe