St-Jean-de-Luz and St-Jean-Pied-de-PortBack to Mountains, Vineyards, and Villages in Spain and France »
Spend a day visiting these two towns, just an hour apart, on your way to Toulouse. St-Jean-de-Luz is known as the village where Louis XIV married Maria Teresa of Spain, and its big attractions are related to the royal couple. In St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, a fortified town on the Nive River, walk around the ramparts and see its unusual church.
Learn more about St-Jean-de-Luz »
- Art and Culture
- Visit St-Jean-de-Luz's Maison de l'Infante, where Maria Teresa of Spain stayed prior to her marriage to Louis XIV. The pink façade is meant to evoke an Italian palazzo.
- St-Jean-de-Luz's17th-century Maison Louis-XIV is where the king stayed before his nuptials. It is austerely decorated in 17th-century Basque fashion.
- St-Jean-Pied-de-Port's is known for its magnificent doorway and has a classic Basque-style design.
- St-Jean-Baptiste in St-Jean hosts a "Musique en Côte Basque" festival of Baroque music in early September.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe