St-Jean-de-Luz and St-Jean-Pied-de-PortBack to Mountains, Vineyards, and Villages in Spain and France »
Spend a day visiting these two towns, just an hour apart, on your way to Toulouse. St-Jean-de-Luz is known as the village where Louis XIV married Maria Teresa of Spain, and its big attractions are related to the royal couple. In St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, a fortified town on the Nive River, walk around the ramparts and see its unusual church.
Learn more about St-Jean-de-Luz »
- Art and Culture
- Visit St-Jean-de-Luz's Maison de l'Infante, where Maria Teresa of Spain stayed prior to her marriage to Louis XIV. The pink façade is meant to evoke an Italian palazzo.
- St-Jean-de-Luz's17th-century Maison Louis-XIV is where the king stayed before his nuptials. It is austerely decorated in 17th-century Basque fashion.
- St-Jean-Pied-de-Port's is known for its magnificent doorway and has a classic Basque-style design.
- St-Jean-Baptiste in St-Jean hosts a "Musique en Côte Basque" festival of Baroque music in early September.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's