Eastern MidlandsBack to Ireland's Greatest Houses and Castles »
This region, about an hour from Dublin, is essentially rich farmland that is studded with even richer sights. There are grand homes, unspoiled Georgian villages, and historic destinations, like Fore Abbey and Locke's Distillery. The countryside here is also ideal for cycling.
Learn more about Portarlington »
- Art and Culture
- Even the drive up to Emo Court and Gardens is magnificent, thanks to its long, tree-lined avenue. Its showstopper is the domed rotunda, inspired by Rome's Pantheon. Come back down to earth in the 55 acres of gardens.
- Located on the shores of Lough Ennel, Belvedere House is a stately 18th-century hunting lodge. It became infamous when the lady of the house, Mary Molesworth, fell in love with her husband's brother and was locked up for years.
- Tullynally Castle, which means "Hill of the Swans," is the largest castle in Ireland that still functions as a family home. The estate is surrounded by beautiful, rolling parkland—most of it was laid out in 1760 and remains largely the same.
- During the summer, the Midlands rocks with festivals, literary gatherings, and small-town fairs.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's