County TipperaryBack to Ireland's Greatest Houses and Castles »
Tipperary is Ireland's largest inland county. Although the main towns can be overrun with tourists, it's easy to escape the crowds in the tranquil countryside. Hands down, the county's biggest attraction is the Rock of Cashel, which lords it over miles of the idyllic region known as the Golden Vale.
Learn more about Tipperary Town »
- Art and Culture
- The medieval-era Rock of Cashel is Ireland's greatest group of ecclesiastical ruins. Consisting of a cathedral, chapel, and round tower, this is the hallowed ground where St. Patrick once explained the mystery of the Trinity.
- Only a small portion of the family-owned Lismore Castle is open to the public (Want to see more? You can rent it). A new contemporary art gallery has been added, but for some, the highlight is the gorgeous 7-acre woodland surrounding the castle.
- Cahir Castle is perched on a rocky island on the River Suir, and is one of Ireland's largest and best-preserved castles. It has retained its dramatic keep, tower, and defensive structure.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe