County KildareBack to Ireland's Greatest Houses and Castles »
Just a half hour south of Dublin, you'll find two of Ireland's most magnificent homes 20 mi/32 km apart: Castletown House and Russborough House. Both offer a unique peek through the keyhole into the extravagant world of Ireland's "Princes of Elegance and Prodigality."
Learn more about Kildare Town »
- Art and Culture
- Blessington's Castletown House is the finest example of an Irish-Palladian style house and was the largest private home in Ireland. Interior highlights include the soaring entrance hall and the Long Gallery done up in Pompeian style.
- The 700 foot long façade of Russborough House is the longest in the country. It pulls out all the stops to achieve Palladian perfection and contains a celebrated collection of Old Master paintings.
- If you'd like to live like a king (or a lord), splurge by spending the night in your own castle, such as Barberstown Castle in Straffan. Some rooms have their own fireplaces and ornate sitting rooms.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's