LimerickBack to Ireland by Rail »
Before you ask, there's no connection between this city and the five-line verse known as a limerick. What Limerick does offer is a quick and easy introduction to Ireland for those flying in from Shannon. Although mainly an industrial city, there are plenty of must-see attractions, including beautifully restored homes and Bunratty Castle, which the whole family will love.
Learn more about Limerick City »
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- The Hunt Museum has the best collection of Celtic and medieval treasures outside Dublin's National Museum. Highlights include works by Yeats and ancient metalwork.
- Visit the Georgian House and Gardens, a meticulously restored mansion that is filled with period furnishings.
- Bunratty Castle and Folk Park will appeal to the whole family, with its lively medieval banquet and demonstrations of what 19th-century village life was really like.
- Each May, the Adare Village Festival features a food and craft market, as well as guided castle tours.
- Limerick's Lough Gur Halloween Storytelling Festival takes place over the Halloween weekend and coincides with the old Irish holiday of Samhain.
- Adare, 12 mi/19 km southwest of Limerick, is one of Ireland's prettiest villages, thanks to its thatched-roof cottages and idyllic setting along the River Maigue.
- Knappogue Castle (13 mi/21 km north of Bunratty) is one of Ireland's most beautiful medieval tower-castles.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's