KillarneyBack to Ireland by Rail »
Killarney serves as an excellent gateway to the Ring of Kerry, but you'll want to linger here. The big attraction is its natural beauty; the blue lakes and sandstone mountains have inspired poets and painters for centuries. You can spend your time exploring the three lakes, hiking in the Killarney National Park, or taking it easy by hiring an old-fashioned horse and buggy to take you around. The park also has two historic sites which are well worth a look.
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- Explore the three lakes of Killarney which are dotted with islands. The largest is Innisfallen, which you can reach by hiring a rowboat at Ross Castle.
- Muckross House, located in the national park, has beautiful gardens and showcases the work of Irish artisans.
- Massive glacial rocks form the Gap of Dunloe, a narrow mountain pass which also gives off a strange echoing sound.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's