Kilkenny CityBack to Ireland by Rail »
Kilkenny is one of Ireland's most alluring destinations, thanks to its large number of medieval churches, castles, and abbeys. These ancient stone buildings are in stark contrast to the number of contemporary galleries all over the city, showcasing the work of artisans and crafts people from every region of Ireland. To recharge after a long day of sightseeing, head to one of Kilkenny's charming pubs and enjoy your Guinness to the tunes of "trad" music.
Learn more about Kilkenny City »
- Art and Culture
- Explore the medieval sites in Kilkenny, including Black Abbey, Kyteler's Inn, or the Market Cross.
- Buy a piece of the shamrock by visiting the Kilkenny Design Centre, one of the many art galleries in town that stock crafts and art work from contemporary Irish artisans.
- Kilkenny Castle, located on 50 acres of parkland, is a dazzling and over-the-top blend of Victorian and Gothic style.
- The August Kilkenny Arts Festival transforms the city into the cultural capital of Ireland.
- Black Castle, located in Leighlinbridge (9 mi/15 km northeast of Kilkenny), is a romantic, Norman-era fortress.
- Discover overlooked Thomastown, a pretty, stone-built village on the River Nore, 9 mi/15 km south of Kilkenny.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe