By consensus Westport is the most attractive city in County Mayo. This 18th-century planned town is on an inlet of Clew Bay, a wide expanse of sea dotted with islands and framed by mountains. Some of the west coast's finest beaches are nearby.
Learn more about Westport »
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- Explore the city, starting at its central Octagon, where a weekly farmers' market is held. All of Westport's streets radiate from it, and traditional shops line the streets that lead up to it.
- The town's showstopper is the Westport House and Country Park, a stately lakeside Georgian and Victorian house. Inside you'll find opulent paintings, antique silver, and Waterford crystal.
- Of Clew Bay's 36 islands, the biggest and most interesting is Clare Island, once the stronghold of a pirate queen, who is buried here. It also has golden beaches.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's